Monday, June 20, 2011

6/20/2011

Hi everyone,

I caught my brother online last night and quickly requested he call for an update if able; a few minutes later the phone rang, and we talked for about 30 minutes about what's been happening.  Here's the update:

The very first thing I noticed, which has been bothering me since, was that Carlos actually sounded ill this time--just exhausted and worn down.  I asked him if he'd returned to the doctor since we last talked (at that time, he had been complaining about a stomach bug, fever, aches and pains, and a sore tooth, and was put on antibiotics), he said he'd been too busy, and money is tight, but that he was still on the antibiotics...his tooth is still very painful.  Worrier as I am, and knowing he should have been much improved by now, I spent much of the rest of the phone call lecturing him to please go back to the doctor or a dentist...I hope he honors my request, as we all know the unfortunate reality is that, sometimes, our health doesn't wait for us to find time to deal with it

The visits with Sage have continued this week, and so have the subtle, and more outward, signs that his mother and her family do not want him to have a relationship with his father.  On the first visit, Carlos was a bit late, as he has much farther to travel to accomodate Ana's chosen location for visits than does she.  When he got there they had already left. The next day, Carlos was supposed to be going to watch Sage's soccer practice, but was given the wrong location.  Finally, yesterday, he was supposed to be allowed 2 1/2 hours with Sage; her family showed up 40 minutes late, and upon arriving (with a new bunny they had just bought for Sage), quickly announced that they could only stay for 30 minutes.  Sage has continued to call Carlos by his name since their second visit, where he first appeared unsure of how he was supposed to react.  Ana continues to deny "teaching" Sage to call her father "dad." Carlos continues to take whatever he can get.

In the midst of all the visits, court hearings have continued this week re: the Hague case.  For those who are unaware of the proceedings that have happened over the last several years, the hearings began in the lower (family) court; Carlos won 3 out of 4, with Ana appealing each time he won.  They finally made it to the supreme court, where the judge determined that Sage's individual interests had not been represented, and the case would have to go back to the family court...this is where they are now (perhaps this time, the four-year old child (who was only 2 the first time around) will be allowed to voice his own four-year-old opinion regarding the outcome of the hearing (what do you all think that will be?????)

On the first day of the trial, Ana's lawyer introduced some new "witnesses," who basically just testified that Sage was adjusted and happy there.  This was allowed despite the fact that it was totally irrelevant to the Hague proceedings (as many of you know, or may recall, this is a common tactic used by abducting parents and their lawyers: keep the child in the country long enough, and then you can use the argument that they are "adapted" to their new country).  The next day, Carlos' attorney brought in a projector, with which they showed the courtroom a slideshow of photographs dating back to before Sage was born, to his baby shower, his birth, his time in N.C., eventually getting to the pictures of Ana and her male "mistress," in Mexico holding Sage, and then subsequently her return to N.C., where she continued to play the role of innocent wife to Carlos until she abducted Sage.  Sage's age in the photos clearly delineated the chronology of these events, such that Ana's witnesses, as well as her own, testimonies were discredited.

While Carlos feels good about the proceedings thus far, and is expecting a decision this week (he is in court again today), he also knows that whatever is decided will again be appealed over and over, up to the supreme court, before a "final" decision is made.  This can take months, or years, as it did the first time through.  In the meantime, he continues to struggle with the conflicting demands on his time and energy from the case, driving hours away for visits with his son, work, and all the other things one has to do to stay afloat on his own.  As his sister, and after our last conversation, I fear for how that will play out in his life and on his health.  It is heart-wrenching to know how he is struggling down there, and how little we can do up here to help.  If I can make a small request here, I ask that anybody who prays, please pray for his health to improve, his morale to stay high, and for clarity in his thinking as he attempts to prioritize what he needs to do.  Please take a minute to offer some words of encouragement by commenting on this post, as he does view the blog from time to time.  As always, I so appreciate your continued support.

Thank you,
Sonia

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sonia & Carlos. Took me a minute to figure out how to do the blogging thing.
    Hang in there David. Hope you feel better soon. Everyone I know is very familiar with your situation right now and I'm asked on a nightly basis how things are going. If you have info on congressional people to contact here or perhaps influential people in Mexico to write letters or e-mails to please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, me too. I agree with Chris. You really ought to see a dentist and take advantage of the affordable health care, if possible. I don't have much money but I could try and help if you need it. This whole situation sounds like a nightmare and as much as we'd all like to see you come home, I refrain from asking because I'm not sure I would were the situation reversed. Let us know if there's any way we can help. We love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if we all wrote letters re: David (Carlos)' character as a father, and what we "witnessed" during their time here, if he oould submit those as evidence the way Ana does?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comments on this blog post as copied from the Bring Sean Home Foundation:

    rduffiel says:

    "I will continue to pray for Carlos and his beautiful son Sage. I will never understand why anyone would want to separate a loving father from his child.
    His mother is truly not acting in the best interest of Sage, and one day (hopefully soon) she will pay for all of the heartache, pain, and
    suffering she has cause father and son.
    Hang in there Carlos. Good always triumphs over evil."

    Anale says:

    "Just got finished reading the blog. I feel so bad for Carlos. He"s just trying to be a father to his son and that awful family is trying to stop him at every turn. What kind of crap is that having Sage call his grandfather Dad? This sounds perverted to me but then there is something wrong with that family anyway. Carlos, you have my prayers and thoughts. Take care of yourself!!"

    lovellboys says:

    "I can NOT believe how they are manipulating even the brief visits between Carlos and Sage. What is wrong with a father and son getting to know each other?"

    Sue says:

    "I read the blog this morning. I'm wondering if you can answer a question for me, I know I've asked this but I can't remember! Will he be given unsupervised visitation with Sage, or is this likely to continue? I don't know if Mexico leans towards the mother or the father. I do know I would like to slap this woman! And I do know that the Mexican stomach bug can take a while to go away and you do have to be on the right antibiotics. Poor Carlos, I wish I could do something to help. I also would think that his actions, moving to Mexico to be with Sage, should help him in court.....one would think so anyway."

    ReplyDelete